5-Rank Schlicker Pipe Organ
The organ was originally built in 1971 by the now closed Schlicker Organ of Buffalo, New York. This firm originally began in 1932 under operations the direction of the quiet and unassuming Herman Schlicker who immigrated to the United States from Germany in 1925. Stanton Peters, the last president of the Schlicker Organ Company, captures the essence of the organ now in Womack Center. He writes, "In early 1952 Herman Schlicker along with E. Power Biggs came up with the concept for a small 'unit' organ. The success of these instruments was immediate and led to the building of hundreds of these unit organs ranging in size from 2 to 15 ranks installed in churches, colleges, universities and homes across the country. Many important and famous institutions dedicated to the teaching of the art of the pipe organ continue to use these ingenious little organs, a small sampling include the prestigious Eastman School of Music, St. Olaf College, Luther College, and the University of Iowa.
The Schlicker Organ now in Sanctuary was originally built for Arizona State University under the direction of the late David Johnson, former Professor of Organ. The "Petit" Schlicker, as it was affectionately known, served for 36 years as a practice instrument for the many organ students of ASU. The organ was originally voiced for the Recital Hall on the 5th floor of the Music Building so that it could be moved there from the practice room when the organ was required for performance.
The organ has been moved and cleaned and happily sings in the acoustically wonderful environment the main Sanctuary. The organ is available for teaching, especially in connection with Rosie's House, a non-profit music school which provides under-served youth of Greater Phoenix with the gift of music, enhancing their daily lives by providing direction, stability and tools for future success.
On Monday, October 22nd, 2007 a new pipe organ arrived in Phoenix. Central United Methodist Church took possession of a small 5-stop portative instrument built by the firm of Taylor and Boody of Staunton, Virginia. Taylor and Boody has long been known for their fine craftsmanship, attention to detail, and strong principles in regards to historically informed organ building practices and this is their first instrument in Arizona. The new organ for Central United Methodist Church, Taylor and Boody's Opus 62, will be used to work with instrumental ensembles, to provide continuo in symphonic and chamber music, to accompany in choral repertoire, as well as to serve in a musical leadership role during the period between the removal of the Reuter instrument and the arrival of the new Glatter-Götz/Rosales pipe organ.
The specification is as follows:
8' Gedackt (wood)
4' Blockflöte (wood)
2 2/3' Hohlquinte (metal, from c')
2' Principal (metal)
The instrument has mechanical key and stop action and is transposable to the following dispositions: a=440 Hz: C-cs''' (50 keys), a=415 Hz: C-d''' (51 keys), a=392 Hz: C, D-d''' (50 keys). The organ is made completely by hand and all components of the instrument are made in the Taylor and Boody shop.
The 8' Gedeckt is made of white oak, the 4' Rhorflüte is made of Cherry, the 2' and 2 2/3' are 28 % tin with the balance of lead, and the Regal resonators are made of 90% tin.
The case wood is all American cherry as well as the carving tracery. The keys are made of pine with Turkish boxwood natural covers and ebony sharp covers.
The stop controls are crafted from anodized aluminum as is the offset tubing. A Laukhuff blower provides wind to a single wedge bellows constructed of pine which feeds the wind chest of oak frame with pine ribs and a western red cedar table board.
The sliders and bearers are of poplar and the toe boards are of pine. The pallets are made from oak.
The 9 Rank, 10 Stop Mechanical Action Instrument was originally designed as a residence organ and was installed in the McFarland Memorial Pioneer Chapel following several years of storage in the Dobson Facility. It provides music for smaller worship services, weddings and memorial services, and was given in Memory of Rosetta Valentine Syll by Marion Russell.
Opus 59, 1993 Installed Spring 2000 in Pioneer Chapel, Central United Methodist Church Phoenix, Arizona
8' Chimney Flute 56
4' Principal 56
2' Gemshorn 56
Swell to Great
8' Gedackt 56
4' Koppel Flute 56
II Sesquialtera 2-2/3' 88
8' Schalmei 56
Tremulantaffects entire organ
16' Subbass 32
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
9 Stops, 9 Ranks 2 Preparations
Mechanical key and stop actions
Free standing solid white oak case with façade pipes of 75% tin
Manual keyboards have ebony naturals and bonecapped rosewood sharps
Pedalboard has hard maple naturals and teak sharps
Bench with height adjusting blocks
Self-contained 110VAC blower
Overall dimensions: 18'-3" H x 12' -0" W x 7'-10" D
Case footprint: 6'-5" W x 4'-10" D